Best Candidate for Dental Implants in Lakewood CO
Dental implants refer to a biocompatible fixture that is surgically placed into the jawbone underneath an area with missing teeth, so it can fuse with the bone to provide a strong and sturdy artificial tooth root that can support the replacement tooth. Your dentist may recommend dental implant placement for a replacement tooth in order to:
- Prevent the teeth adjacent to the gap from tilting or shifting, which may misalign your bite and cause other problems
- Prevent teeth on the opposing jaw from growing irregularly because there’s no mate to make contact with, which may cause you to injure the gum tissue in that area. This can create a chronic sore spot and discomfort every time you bite
- Prevent the bone tissue under the gums from shrinking away (resorption) due to lack of stimulation during chewing, causing your face to appear aged
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants offer many benefits compared to the alternatives such as dentures and bridgework, including:
- No allergic reactions – The implant is made from biocompatible materials like titanium
- Highly successful – Dental implants surgical placement has a success rate of over 98%
- Conservative restoration – Dental implants stand on their own without depending on the support of surrounding natural teeth
- Natural look and feel – Since implants integrate to the underlying bone tissue, they are so stable that they look and feel like your natural teeth.
- No changes to your lifestyle – You can continue to eat your favorite foods without any worry and practice your usual oral care routine.
If you’re considering getting a dental implant, you should visit your dentist to find out whether you’re a suitable candidate for the treatment. This will depend on the position of the missing tooth in your mouth; the quality and quantity of jawbone in the area with the gap; and your general health. But most adults can successfully get implants if the necessary preparations are made through additional dental procedures and/or a change in your lifestyle habits. Please visit your dentist to learn more about dental implants in Lakewood CO and how they can help to restore the function and aesthetic of your mouth.